2.20.2014

Hidden Treasure

Story I wrote today, while mopping: 

When I was baptized, I was given a rock from my bishop. It had strange bumps and just wasn't very attractive. I was told "always keep this close and safe." Why would a rock need protected? I continued with my life and followed the advice from my bishop. 

Time passed and I gained all of my dreams. The dream house. Fabulous husband. Satisfying career and inspiring children. Money wasn't a problem. Trips were made, as were memories. I still held on to that rock.

It was nearing the end of my life, and my family asked what was the most important thing to me. I told them, about the rock and how there were times I wanted to toss it aside and forget it. I told of the times when people made fun of me for keeping a rock when I had absolutely everything now. There once was a time when that was all I had, and other times when it was an effort to carry it along. During blessed days, it was easy. They asked why I valued it so much. I didn't know. Therefore, I told them "I value the Lord. I show my love through obedience. If a servant of the Lord told me that this is important, then who am I to say it isn't?" I died a few days later. 

Judgement day came and I knelt to God. He asked "What did you take with you from your life?" 

I thought long and hard. Looking down at my weary hands...I realized I had nothing to give Him. I responded, "my love for you, and your gospel, my family, friends and my experiences." 

Heavenly Father smiled, placed His hand on my shoulder and handed me the rock I carried throughout my life. "Open it" He said. Hesitantly, I opened what I once thought was a rock. Inside, was a beautiful pearl. I looked to God in confusion and said "I don't understand what I've kept all these years" He responded..."You kept your faith."

BEGIN SOMETHING NEW TODAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment